Friday, December 10, 2010

Think and Speak or Speak and Think?

Think and Speak or Speak and Think? I believe one or the other comes more natural to each of us. Paul is the type of person that more often thinks and then speaks. I more often speak and then think. Both have good and bad that comes with them. People that speak before thinking usually say exactly how they feel, but sometimes it does not come out very nice. People that think first probably talk less, and don't share what is on their mind as easily. This is all just my opinion. You can agree or disagree. But I had a moment today that I realized that I should think about what I say just a little bit more.

In a conversation with a friend yesterday I was describing an individual. I used the term "White Trash" to explain them. I have heard and used this term many times and never really thought much about it. If you are wondering if I was talking about you, the answer is NO.

This morning my mind was just wondering as I was getting ready, and the thought came to me, "You should NEVER describe someone as TRASH." I thought for a moment what trash is to me. Things that are waste, something broken, something no good, something I no longer want to keep. People are NOT TRASH. They may be rough, have a hard life, and even look run down, but that does not make them trash.

I realized today that it is important to stop and think about things that we say. Sometimes when we say things just playing around those are the moments we hurt someone. I recall being told often that I am mean or rude. I have the personality that when told something like that my first reaction is to say I will show you have not seen anything yet. If you think I am mean just wait, and honestly I am a NICE pearson. It is easy to rude and selfIt only depends on what you are focusing on when you speak with you. My very favorite saying I learned from a sociology class is, "I am what I think you think that I am". I can not remember what famous sociologist termed this, but it is so true. We influence what others think about them selves. For good or for bad. What we say to our children and are neighbors is equally important. This doesn't stop after you turn a certain age. We continue to make in impact on others our entire life.

Think and then speak or speak and then think. No matter what we do I realized that I need to more often take a little time and think about what I am saying about others. I believe it does make a difference.

2 comments:

Adhis said...

You are realizing the power of words. Words (even in jest) said with emotion or with frequency formulate how we end up treating people and circumstances. Words invite favorable situations or set the stage for unpleasant experiences.

Man, you're learning a lot! You've posted quite a few posts with great insights!

Day Family Blog said...

I have always been a talk first think second kind of gal too and I has gotten me in trouble more than once. Thanks for the reminder to think before I talk. Funny that Brad is more like Paul to in that he always formulates what he wants to say in his head before he actually talks. Seems like a waste of time if you ask me :)