Friday, October 1, 2010

Egg Drop

At our Elementary school they do an egg drop in third grade. The kids can use any method they want to try to protect their egg from cracking being dropped off the roof of the school building. The principle gets to do the honor of dropping each kids carefully protected egg off the roof.

Hannah worked with her Dad to come up with an idea of how to best protect her egg from being cracked. Actually I mentioned the project to Paul, and that I thought this was probably something he would enjoy working with Hannah on. He quickly stated his idea and was off looking around the house to get all the supplies he needed to prove to me that it would work. When he told me the idea I had a bit of doubts that the egg would not hold up.
Hannah's teacher works very hard to make sure that the kids are listening and doing what they are suppose to be doing.
I was very sad that I didn't take a picture when they dropped her egg, but here is Hannah retrieving her well packaged egg. I think she was pleased that it survived the drop.

If you can not tell very well the egg is placed between three balloons, and the balloons are held together by tape. Paul put one together the week prior to the egg drop to show me that it would work. He took it outside and simply tossed it in the air. The kids thought it was to much fun to each take a turn and through it around. It held up really well until Connor through it and it landed in the grass the balloons popped, but the egg still held together. At that point I told Paul, "well, I guess this should work as long as the surface it is landing on is not grass."

I guess the kids were suppose to learn about disappointment, but lets be honest we all know that life is so much nicer when you don't have to be disappointed. I am sure that Hannah will have plenty of opportunities in life to learn about disappointment. I was pleased to see a smile on her face and a proud Dad who helped make that possible.

1 comment:

Day Family Blog said...

What a cute school activity. Getting 3rd graders to like science without knowing they are doing science :)