Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy St Patricks Day

I love the Holidays. My Mother is a lover of Holidays, and has always done fun things to celebrate even the small holidays such as St. Patrick's Day. The most important part of St. Patrick's Day is simple, everyone dressed in green. I was happy that my Mom called to invite us to the traditional green dinner, but sad that we would have to miss it this year. I decided that I had better come up with something that I could make green. After much thinking I came up with green rice.
So this was a St. Patrick's day dinner. Green rice, chicken, broccoli, peas, and pickles. It worked. Maybe next year we can join in the fun with the rest of the family.


After dinner the kids spent the evening making a leprechaun trap. Connor has had mixed feelings about all this leprechaun stuff. The day before he came home from school all excited to tell me that his teacher ate a cookie that had been cursed by a leprechaun and her feet turned green. He DID NOT give her five at the end of the day just in case he would turn green from touching her.
I was surprised when he woke up the next morning and told me that leperchauns are NOT real and his teacher painted her feet green to play a trick. He informed me that his Dad told him. I mentioned that other kids think it is fun to pretend so please do not go to school telling everyone that it is not real.
I have been gone in the evenings so I was not home and was a bit surprised that Paul would tell him that is was all just a trick. Come to find out Connor was crying and very upset that he did not want to go to school the next day. "What if the leprechaun puts a curse on ME!" So, Paul had to break down and tell him that none of it was real. Well, what was the very next question from Hannah, "OK, so what about Santa Clause". Paul responded of corse Santa is real!!!
Well, Connor went to school the next day and came home to tell me. "Mom, Dad is wrong leprechauns are real." The kids then spent the evening making a leprechaun bed with treats next to it. Well, surprise surprise Connor didn't want to sleep in his bed. He DID NOT want to sleep next to a leprechaun.
They had also made a green mixer of some sort for the leprechaun to eat. The next day they were excited that the leprechaun had eaten some and wanted to keep it out, but I informed them that leprechauns ONLY come out on St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

Chris and Kat said...

Great dinner!
We had green jell-o, green kool-aid, green salad and lasagna.
:)
Fun traditions.