Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Going Fishing!

We decided that now that the weather is finally getting nice we should spend some time as a family out fishing. Paul got up before going to work and got all the fishing poles ready to go. My job was to bring dinner, chairs, and the kids for a fun evening together. Well, at around 4:00 pm it was a down pour out side. I called Paul and the fishing trip was off. With in an hour the sun was out again and things were looking pretty dry so we decided to go. We had spent about an hour of fishing with NO luck when all of a sudden Bonnie had to potty. When you are still potty training you take no chances, so me and the kids went off to the bathroom while Paul watched the lines. As we headed back the kids were complaining that they wanted to be done, and go play on the playground. I told them as soon as we catch one fish we can be done. Just then Paul called me on my phone. "You had better come quick you got a fish!" I ran up the little path grabbed my fishing pole from Paul and brought it my biggest fish. We typically catch and release, but this poor fish was dead. Probably form swimming around for about a minute with a hook in it's mouth. Well, I have wanted to take a fish home and gut it for the past two or three years of fishing, but I haven't ever caught anything big enough to take home. This fish wasn't huge, but big enough. So I decided that today was the day for me to gut a fish!
Bonnie enjoyed having her chair and fishing pole.

We switched the fish over to Hannah's pole, so that I could fish a little longer.


Connor just had fun playing around and getting into trouble.


So, for the rest of the story. I have NEVER gut a fish before. I called my Dad, and he said that when I got home he could walk me through it. Paul had to hurry off to a temple recommend interview. I called my Dad, but he didn't answer, so I was on my own. I got on the Internet and googled "how to gut a fish" the first bit of advice was to do it outside "You don't want your kitchen covered in scales." I was happy for that helpful hint. The rest seamed pretty easy. I reminded myself that the fish was all ready dead, and I have taken human anatomy twice this is no different than seeing inside a frog, or pig, or humane. I can do this! Once I was in the right frame of mind it was no big deal. The kids thought is was amazing to see the fishes guts. I thought I did good until talking with my Mom and Paul after I was done. I attempted to dig out some of the bones, I guess you usually leave them in until after you cook the fish, and I removed the fins, who would want to eat those? I guess you don't eat them, but you again just leave them on. The fish was bit cut up, but I believe it is still eatable. The only problem is that I have NO idea how to cook it. My Mom told me to stick it in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer to save for my Dad. I am excited to give my Dad a little treat. But for now I have a some what cut up fish in my freezer. One thing is for sure it was an adventures evening!







4 comments:

Heidi said...

WOW! That's about all I can say. You are amazing. We took Maddie fishing once with her Grandpa when she was 3. when we finally caught one, she yelled "Put it back in the bathtub. You're naughty!" And that was the end of fishing for our family.

Amber said...

I can't believe that you touched that fish without vinyl gloves on!! I like to fish if I don't have to rig up my line, put bait on it, or touch the caught fish AT ALL!! Gregg takes such good care of me...I just like to reel it in. However, I do like to cook it! YUM! Where do you guys go fishing? We should join you sometime.

Kat said...

Congrats on catching the fish! :) I can teach you how to gut and clean a fish that is a TON easier than what it sound like you had to do. I love fishing. We have taken Caden about 4 times now already this year. We should all go together sometime. Although we river fish, not lake fish. I never catch anything on the lake. LOL :)

becky said...

Good job. I have never caught anything before.