Monday, May 18, 2009

Things I HATE, but trying to improve on!

OK, so being raised an LDS girl, and being an individual that enjoys being independent and having the ability to do new things many people are surprised that I absolutely HATE to garden. I tried a little pot with a bean plant. It was kind of neat because it was a plant that Hannah brought home the seed in a cup from primary. We watched it grow and moved it into a pot, and it even produced beans. I love fresh beans, so I was very pleased with what we had accomplished. We had faith and the beans grew. Then the bugs got them and the leaves were covered in holes and I was no longer comfortable eating the plant knowing that bugs were crawling on them. Then I got a strawberry plant from some friends I worked on the plant for a couple of years waiting for it to produce mouth watering bright red strawberries, but before the plant ever came the leaves dried up and withered away. If you are thinking, "well, you have to water the plant!" Yes, I all ready know this part of gardening and I did water the plant, but I guess not enough. To say the very least I HATE the idea of wasting my time simply to feed the bugs!

So, on to the next thing I HATE, COOKING! I have a very hard time spending hours of my precious time making food that is gone in the 15 min. that the frozen food is gone in, and to be honest my children complain less when we are having frozen chicken nuggets shaped like dinosaurs than when we are eating some kind of home cooked lasagna, or stew, or I don't know!

Well, I am not having a garden this summer, but I did purchase a my wards cook book from the Young Women. I bought I cook book from a good friend of mine in Idaho over a year ago and I have not made one thing from it. So, I made goal for myself. I am cooking one thing from either of these cook books a week. My kids have complained, but they have been pretty good to at least try it, and then after Connor make his this is disgusting face he then eats peanut butter and jelly.

I've only been doing this for the last two weeks, but the creamy Crock pot chicken on pg 47 was easy and yummy. I made the chicken rolls on pg56 and tonight we will be having Easy Enchilada Casserole on pg 53. I am all over any kind of dinner that starts of with EASY! I still don't like to cook, mostly I hate all the time that it takes to prepare and clean up, but it is fun to have a bit more of a variety in our every day meals!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so proud of you! I'm doing the same thing. Glad you like the Creamy Crock pot chicken. I sometimes double it and freeze half for a few weeks down the road - less cooking!

Janet said...

I love that cookbook! I am doing the same thing.

Frandsen Family said...

Hey Amanda! Good Ideas. I have a way that works for my kids to get them to try new things... It's called the Taste Tester Club. If they don't like something but eat the required amount- (4 carrots for my four year old, 7 carrots for my seven year old) They get to punch a hole in their card. ONce they get 20 punches they get to have what they want for dinner- right now they are working for Chuck E Cheese. We'll probably have to combine that with a family night. Give it a try!

islandgirl said...

I made a list of the things I wanted to make. So far we've done the Chicken Bruschetta Bake, Chicken Asparagus Cheesebake, Ritz Chicken, Sausage and Egg Casserole, Raspberry Jello Salad, Oreo Cookies, Callies Salad and the Apple Provolone Salad. Oh yeah, and the Chicken Bowtie Salad too. Still have tons more I want to try, lol!