Tuesday, January 13, 2009

To Potty trian or NOT to Potty trian that is the Question!

One of a Mothers dreaded deeds. Potty training. I have heard all kinds of stories of how easy "my child was to potty train". Well, I have two children currently potty trained one girl and one boy and they were both challenging. So, now the time is getting closer that I need to consider pushing my little one maybe a little harder in the direction of using the potty. She will be three soon and it is not uncommon to feel a little guilty to have a big girl still wearing a diaper. But what I can say is that I understand why Mother's choose to just Wait and keep their "Big kid" in a diaper.

Potty training is suppose to make you free. Free from the extra expense of diapers. But have you ever been in Walmart with three kids when all of a sudden one of them needs to go to the bathroom, NOW! So, you hurry everyone over to the front of the store find out the bathroom is being cleaned. Now we have to walk all the way to the back of the store gather up all of the coats and diaper bag, and as we enter the restroom I announce everyone needs to try to go to the bathroom because we are NOT going again.

A few days ago my son had used the bathroom, and sat there on the pot crying for probably twenty minutes that someone needed to come and wipe him. The reason he cried for so long was because this task is something he knows how to take care of, so Paul nicely tells him Connor you know how, you need to do it. Connor then cries out "But it is too gross!" Hello, like it isn't disgusting for anyone else to have to take care of that.

It has not been uncommon to find yucky stuff all over the toilet. I would much rather have all that nasty stuff confined into one spot stuck to their cute little bottom. I guess the big problem is that the bottom gets bigger and just isn't as cute any more.

As I write I answer the question for myself. Yes, the time will come that you must potty train. It is simply a part of life. But, it would also be helpful to simply realize that potty training does not end when your child learns the function of simply using the bathroom, but must also learn bathroom etiquette. Use the toilet, clean up after you self, and remember to wash!

And in the end you can be happy that you are saving a bit of money simply because you no longer have to buy diaper and wipes, but make sure to keep those disinfectant wipes close by!

9 comments:

Englishfam said...

Okay you are hilarious!! I was laughing so hard reading this post. I am thinking about training Preston after our trip in February and I am NOT looking forward to it. Can't we just send them away for like 3 days to a potty training camp? That would be awesome!

Heidi said...

I feel your pain. Lindsay (how is 3) has decided that she wants to be totally independant in the bathroom. I know her little arms are not long enought to adequately 'take care of things,' but sometimes, I let her because I am tired of it. Sometime I think it would be so much easier to just strap a diaper on her!

sweet nectar sara said...

I've had a break but my middle son is fast approaching the potty training and the third is only a year behind him. I liked this post :)

Kat said...

This was hilarious! I totally understand getting grossed out by having to wipe the bum of a "not so cute bum" anymore. LOL :)

Sheree said...

Eew! I hate the skidmarks on the toilet seat. But poop on the wall was worse.

I have a cute little video that might help, but it is VHS, and I think we may be the only ones who still use those!

Adhis said...

What is VHS?

becky said...

I hate potty training too. I feel your pain.

Allison said...

Eventually they will learn that if you go to school with a diaper on you will be made fun of. Sometimes things just aren't worth sweating over. She is too cute. When she is determined to do it, she will be a breeze. We finally told Maxx he needed to be a big boy and wipe his own butt. That was nasty! But he eventually got it. But not without it being everywhere! I must say it is nice to have them all potty trained. I do enjoy it. Even when we have to run to the front of Walmart at least twice every shopping trip because everyone goes pee, and them someone like 5 minutes later decides,suddenly, they have to poop! COME ON KIDS!! You got to love them.

MUIR FAMILY said...

I think you are funny though, but every kid is diferent. She will learn went she get ready