Thursday, February 17, 2011

making a fake cake

I have had fun today working on a fake cake for the children's play Sleeping Beauty. I needed something that will hold up for a few weeks. I considered making it out of rice krispies. It's not like we are going to eat it, but I thought it might be nice to have something not made with any kind of food. I decided that it would be OK to have a rectangular cake rather than round and decided that gifts boxes would work. The one thing I would have done different is to make sure that each box is glued closed very well. The middle section puckered a bit once it was painted. I then used caulk as frosting. I used a cheap plastic tip and a disposable bag. I figured it was better to not use tips that will be used with food. Even with washing things up I don't too comfortable know that chemicals that should not go into my body may still be present on the tips..
I added a ribbon, some flowers, and a little topper to celebrate Aurora's 16 birthday.
My most common phrase when I finish a project is... Well, it's not perfect, but it turned out pretty good.


No comments: